Spartans Community Football Academy (SCFA) – Edinburgh
Our association with Spartans began in 2004 when we were appointed to help them develop a Community Football Academy in the north side of Edinburgh. We saw the potential to develop the facility as a contribution to the regeneration of the area. Our work has involved providing advice and expertise on a range of matters including:
- Consideration of local demand for facilities
- Consideration of developing on existing site or moving to a different location
- Preparation of design brief for submission to architects
- Negotiated on behalf of SCFA site lease and ownership with City of Edinburgh Council
- Oversight of design process for new facilities to ensure compliance with potential funders.
- All community consultation and partner engagement
- Responsibility for writing development and business plans for the Academy
- Preparation of funding bids to attract £3.3 million cost of the Academy
- Advised SCFA on all negotiations with CEC and the Scottish Executive to ensure delivery of the project
- Consideration of legal structure of SCFA to enable maximum funding opportunities to be realised
- Operational and management advice of the Academy.
- Advise on loan funding from Social Investment Scotland for £1m SIF funding
Spartans Community Football Academy opened in December 2008 and since then has made a significant impact on the North Edinburgh Community through a number of social community projects. Such as:
- The Read and White Army (alternative literacy programme).
- Spartans Smilers
- Street Football in a Safe Place
- Hidden Treasures
- Active Futures
- Young Ambassadors, school placements
In 2010 Social Investment Scotland asked the SROI Network to measure the social impact of Spartans impact on their community and estimated that they delivered £7.63 for every £1 invested, making the Academy one of the most successful social enterprises in Scotland.
PMR have secured, Children in Need, Robertson Trust and Gannochy Trust funding for support staff posts and in 2011 we are working with the Team at Spartans to extend the building and develop second 3rd Generation pitch on site
01620 895 900